Last Updated on October 24, 2023 by Toya
This shrimp seasoning is a simple way to add the best flavor to shrimp recipes! This easy shrimp rub can be mixed up in just a few minutes and can be kept on hand in your kitchen for days when you want to enjoy flavorful shrimp!
The best shrimp seasoning recipe
Homemade spice blends are one of my favorite things to make. They’re super easy, fresh, and don’t contain all the bad stuff. I’ve made quite a few here, including my pork rib rub with no sugar, my taco seasoning recipe without cumin, this homemade chipotle seasoning recipe, and my amazing seafood boil seasoning recipe!
Today I thought I’d also share my favorite shrimp seasoning recipe with you. This shrimp seasoning is made with love and is super versatile. You can use it to season all sorts of shrimp recipes including my delicious air fryer shrimp recipe here or even this simple shrimp boil recipe! Also, it’s a great way to flavor this buttery shrimp boil sauce recipe!
If you want to see how I make my famous shrimp seasoning recipe, keep reading.
Shrimp seasoning recipe ingredients
- Salt: You can adjust the salt according to your preferences. Use a little less if you want to make the recipe healthier.
- Onion powder: Used to add some extra flavor
- Paprika: I used sweet paprika. But you can always substitute with smoked paprika. Smoked paprika will result in a smoky shrimp seasoning mix.
- Garlic powder: Used to add flavor
- Crushed red chiles: I used both crushed Aleppo peppers and red pepper flakes in this recipe. These two spices added a nice fiery element to the seasoning mix. You can use whatever you have available.
- Thyme: You can use another minty herb of your choice too.
- Oregano: You can substitute equal parts Italian seasoning if you prefer.
- Rosemary: I like using this herb in my shrimp recipes, so I also went with rosemary for its peppery, lemony, and woodsy flavor.
How to make shrimp seasoning
Measure out all the ingredients.
Then mix them well to combine.
You can also pass the shrimp spice and herb blend through a spice grinder to make the seasoning mix more uniform.
How to season shrimp
Once the seasoning ingredients are mixed, you’re ready to season the shrimp.
Make sure your shrimp are cleaned.
Once clean, pat them dry with some paper towels and place them in a mixing bowl.
Rub a small amount of oil on the shrimp to help the seasoning stick to the seafood.
Use 1 tablespoon of shrimp seasoning for 1 pound of shrimp.
Let it marinate for a few hours for maximum flavor.
You can also cook the seasoned shrimp right away if you don’t have the extra time.
Discard any unused shrimp seasoning that comes into contact with raw shrimp or your hands when you handle raw shrimp.
To store this homemade shrimp seasoning blend, simply pour it into a spice jar with a tight-fitting lid, a container with a tight lid, or a ziplock bag.
Seal, label then store in a cool, dark, dry corner of your kitchen so the spice mix remains fresh.
How long does it last?
If you’re using fresh spices to make this shrimp seasoning mix and store this in a cool, dry, dark place, then the recipe can last for up to 6 months.
- ½ tablespoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons of onion powder
- 2 teaspoons of garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of crushed Aleppo peppers
- 1 teaspoon of crushed red peppers
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- 1 teaspoon of dried rosemary
- Measure out all the ingredients.
- Then mix them well to combine.
- You can also pass the shrimp spice and herb blend through a spice grinder to make the seasoning mix more uniform.