Last Updated on January 27, 2023 by Toya
If you’re looking for an easy keto taco soup recipe, you’ll be glad you found this one. Made in a crockpot and served in a bowl, you’re guaranteed to make this keto soup over and over again. The best part is that everyone who tastes this taco soup with ground beef will love it too!
I haven’t tried anything about Mexican cuisine that I don’t like, and tacos are no exception. It is usual to think that tacos can only be eaten with tortillas, but if you’re on any kind of low carb diet such as keto, you’ll find that a bowl of delicious taco soup is just as good, if not better than you’d imagine.
Obviously, since this recipe is keto-friendly, no beans will be used and, we will substitute keto seasoning packets with our very own homemade keto taco seasoning. If you do not have it, you can check out this low carb taco seasoning mix here.
This soup has a medium difficulty because it must be cooked for at least 3 hours so that you get the best flavors possible.
It is a great dish for dinner time. But, it can only be eaten as on of your favorite easy keto lunch meals too!
How many carbs are in taco soup?
Regular taco soup made with ground beef, onions, beans, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, red chili peppers, and taco seasoning contains about 30-40 grams of carbs per serving. Most of those carbs come from the beans.
Are beans keto-friendly
Beans are not keto approved as one cup of black beans contains 40 grams of carbs. This is a food that you definitely must give up on a keto lifestyle. Most other beans are also high in carbs which means you cannot add them to your keto-friendly taco soup recipe.
How many carbs in keto taco soup made with ground beef?
On the other hand, for a keto taco soup like the recipe outlined below, you can expect to find less than 3 grams of carbs in each serving. This is so because this recipe is made with keto-friendly ingredients like ground beef, butter, and cheese that will not kick you out of ketosis.
How many carbs are in ground beef?
There are no carbs found in ground beef which makes it the perfect ingredient for this low carb soup.
Keto Taco Soup Ingredients
This is a list of everything you will need to make this very appetizing recipe:
- 2 tbsp butter
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 diced Serrano pepper
- ½ cup diced fresh tomatoes
- 4 cups beef stock
- 600 grams of ground beef with at least 20% fat
- 1 cup cream cheese
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese (you can also use melted cheese)
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
Tips and tricks to make the best keto taco soup:
Here are a few useful tips to keep in mind when making this recipe:
- You can exchange ground beef for pork. This will perhaps add more flavor this the low carb soup.
- This recipe is best made the night before if you’re using your crockpot. You just set your crockpot to 10 hours and the meat will be very soft.
- Also, if you wish you can add some fried bacon as a topping or make nachos with melted cheese. They are very simple, you just put a slice of cheese on a non-stick pan and let it toast on both sides. You can shape it into the shape of nachos while it’s still warm.
How to make keto taco soup in a crockpot
First, gather all of your ingredients in one place.
Next, you will place two tablespoons of butter in a large skillet and let this melt. Once the butter is melted and bubbling add in the onion and garlic and cook for a few minutes until the onion becomes transparent.
Next, add poblano pepper and tomatoes and continue cooking for a few more minutes.
Finally, add in the ground beef, separate the meat with the help of a kitchen palette to break up any large clusters. Cook this until the meat has lost its intense pink color, and turn off the heat.
Now, in a crockpot add in 4 cups of beef broth and the contents of the pan. Cook this mixture for at least 6 hours in your crockpot.
Lastly, add in the shredded cheddar cheese and cream cheese and cook for about 20 more minutes until all the cheese is completely melted and integrated into the soup. Season with salt and pepper to your liking and turn off.
When you’re ready to serve, you can top it with some slices of Serrano or jalapeño pepper, or a slice of lemon, or sliced avocado. You can even add sour cream and fresh cilantro.
Now it is time to enjoy this perfect keto taco soup that makes an amazing low carb Mexican soup.
If you do not have a crock pot, you can use the tips below to learn hoe to make this soup in an instant pot on on the stove top.
How to make taco soup in an instant pot
If you do not have a Using the saute option, brown the beef and drain the excess liquid, then add the taco seasoning, onion, and garlic powder and cook for 30 seconds. Next pour in the beef broth add in tomatoes and lock the lid into place.
At this point, select the Manual, adjust to High pressure, and set it to 10 minutes. Once the cooking cycle is done, perform a natural pressure release, stir in the shredded cheese and cream cheese and simmer the taco soup for 3 minutes on Saute. You can also check out this instant pot taco soup recipe for more in-depth instructions. Making this taco soup recipe in an instant pot takes less than 30 minutes from start to finish.
How to make taco soup on the stove top
To make keto taco ground beef soup on the stove top, first, grab a large saucepan that can hold about 2 liters of water.
Then add in the butter and wait until it is melted. Once melted, add in garlic and onion, and cook for a few minutes. Then add the rest of the vegetables, and cook for a few minutes.
Next, add the beef to the saucepan and cook for about 25 minutes.
Once this is done, add the spices and broth and simmer for 10 minutes.
Then, add the cream cheese and shredded cheese and cook the soup until the cheese melts and your meal is done.
Can I make this taco soup recipe dairy free?
You can make this taco soup recipe dairy free. To do this, you will need to replace the dairy ingredients will dairy free options. Replace the cream with almond milk or coconut milk with 80% of coconut fat. Get rid of the shredded cheese and replace the butter with oil. Also, use some nutritional yeast in the recipe to give a cheesy flavor to this keto ground beef soup.
How to store low carb taco soup
To store this soup, make sure it’s completely cooled. Then portion the soup out into airtight containers or Ziploc bags and freeze.
This soup is best stored in portions and can remain in the freezer for up to 6 months.
When you want to serve this, simply thaw this keto ground beef soup in a microwave for a few minutes or in a small pot on the stovetop.
Nutrition facts of low carb taco soup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 495 Total Fat: 38.1g Saturated Fat: 19.6g Cholesterol: 151mg Sodium: 837mg Carbohydrates: 2.8g Net Carbohydrates: 2.4g Fiber: 0.4g Sugar: 1g Protein: 34.2g
What to serve with low carb taco soup
This easy low carb taco soup is a very delicious keto soup that can be served next to many other low carb foods. Here are a few ideas you can try out:
- Serve with cauliflower rice
- Serve topped with avocado slices
- Topped with shredded cheese and chopped herbs
- With cheese nachos
- With a leafy salad
Topping ideas you can use:
Here are some toppings you can use for this soup:
- Parmesan Cheese
- Any Shredded Cheese
- Diced Tomatoes
- Diced Onions
- Avocado Slices
- Sour Cream
- Jalapeno Peppers
Easy taco soup substitutions:
These are a few substitutes you can use for this recipe:
- Use chicken broth, vegetable broth, or homemade bone broth instead of beef broth.
- Use ground chicken, pulled pork, pulled beef, or pulled chicken instead of ground beef.
- Use taco seasoning packets instead of homemade taco seasoning.
Tools used to make this taco soup recipe
Click the links to see the tools used to make this recipe:
- Crock pot – This is one of my favorite crock pots to use. I’ve used it to help me to make some of the easiest and most delicious low carb soups and stews with little to no work on my part.
- Large skillet – I love this skillet. It has been my go-to for years!
- Wooden spoon – This is a great tool to have in any kitchen as it is better to use than aluminum spoons.
More keto soup recipes
Keto Taco Soup With Ground Beef
This keto taco soup is the perfect comfort food recipe to make this fall. It not only tastes amazing and is super low in carbs. This recipe is also fairly easy to make as it's made in a slow cooker!
- • 2 tbsp butter
- • ½ cup finely chopped onion
- • 2 crushed garlic cloves
- • 1 diced serrano pepper
- • ½ cup diced fresh tomatoes
- • 4 cups beef stock
- • 600 grs of ground beef with at least 20% fat
- • 1 cup cream cheese
- • ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese (you can also use melted cheese)
- • 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- • Salt and pepper to taste
- First gather all of your ingredients in one place.
- Next, you will place two tablespoons of butter in a large skillet and let this melt. Once the butter is melted and bubbling add in the onion and garlic and cook for a few minutes until the onion becomes transparent.
- Next add poblano pepper and tomatoes and continue cooking for a few more minutes.
- Finally, add in the ground beef, separate the meat with the help of a kitchen palette to break up any large clusters. Cook this until the meat has lost it's intense pink color, and turn off the heat.
- Now, in a crock pot add in 4 cups of beef broth and the contents of the pan. Cook this mixture for at least 6 hours in your crock pot.
- Lastly, add in the shredded cheddar cheese and cream cheese and cook about 20 more minutes until all the cheese is completely melted and integrated into the soup. Season with salt and pepper to your liking and turn off.
- you're ready to serve, you can top with some slices of Serrano or jalapeño pepper, or a slice of lemon, or sliced avocado. You can even add sour cream and fresh cilantro.
- Now it is time to enjoy this perfect keto taco soup!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 495Total Fat: 38.1gSaturated Fat: 19.6gCholesterol: 151mgSodium: 837mgCarbohydrates: 2.8gNet Carbohydrates: 2.4gFiber: 0.4gSugar: 1gProtein: 34.2g