These keto chicken skewers are easy to make, require only a few ingredients and make the perfect keto recipe to accompany salads, zucchini noodles, cauliflower rice or just served on its own!
Everyone loves these easy chicken skewers that can be made in minutes!
This is why these low carb chicken skewers are essential in any barbecue, and are a great ideas especially during summer.
Can you have chicken on the keto diet?
If you’ve been wondering if chicken is okay on the keto diet, then the answer is yet. In fact, every single cut of chicken is keto friendly and contains no carbs.
Should you marinate the chicken?
A marinade is a liquid solution used to soak food such as meats and vegetables for added flavor and tenderness.
In order for your low carb chicken skewers to be flavorful, juicy and tender, you should marinate the chicken in a good marinade for at least 30 minutes in advance. This will allow the marinade to enter into the chicken to add some flavor and also to help your chicken maintain moisture during the cooking process so it does not dry out quickly.
What is a good marinade for the low carb chicken skewers?
In this recipe, we use a simple keto marinade made of cream, lemon juice, cilantro, Italian herbs, salt and pepper.
To make it, you will only need to mix everything together in a bowl, then use to coat your chicken. You check out the recipe below for measurements.
You can also try out some other low carb marinades do this recipe.
How do you cook these chicken skewers?
These can be cooked either on a grill, a grilling pan or in an oven. This step is all up to you and what you have available. We used a grilling pan for this particular recipe.
Cookware needed to cook the keto chicken skewers
- 5 spiked sticks 20 centimeters long
- 1 plastic container with lid or a Ziploc bag
- A grill pan
How to make keto chicken skewers
To prepare this recipe, assemble your ingredients and your cookware and let’s begin.
You will first, cut the chicken breast into cubes of equal size (about 3 cm side approximately).
Next, you will cut the onion into large pieces and reserve.
Then, in a mixing bowl, combine: chicken, cream, lemon juice, cilantro, Italian herbs, salt and pepper.
Mix this sauce very well with the chicken pieces, and rub until all the ingredients are integrated.
Allow the chicken bits to marinate in a container with a lid. You can also use a sealed bag to marinate your chicken in you have it.
Let the chicken marinate for at least 30 minutes or ideally for 2 hours if you have the time available.
Put the chicken cubes on a plate until the excess sauce dries a little then put the skewers. Insert on a skewer stick a piece of onion, two chicken cubes and another piece of onion; Repeat this process until the stick is filled up.
You should leave about 3 cm on each side to be able to take the skewers with both hands.
Place the chicken skewers in a hot grill pan, and cook on both sides until golden brown.
Once cooked they should look like this:
You can pair these with a green salad for a delicious keto meal. Sprinkle with a little sour cream and chopped coriander.
More keto chicken recipes
- One chicken breast (300 g approx.)
- ½ medium onion (60 g approx..)
- ⅓ cup of Sour cream
- The juice of half a lemon
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped coriander
- 1 teaspoon of Italian herbs (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the breast into cubes of equal size, about 3 cm side approximately.
- Cut the onion into large pieces and reserve.
- In a mixing bowl, combine: chicken, cream, lemon juice, cilantro, Italian herbs, salt and pepper. Mix this sauce very well with the chicken pieces, rub until all the ingredients are integrated.
- Place the chicken to marinate in a container with a lid; If you want it and you have a sealed bag available, you can also use it. If you prepare this recipe with time, it is ideal to marinate for about two hours.
- Put the chicken cubes on a plate until the excess sauce dries a little and put the skewers. Insert on a skewer stick a piece of onion, two chicken cubes and another piece of onion; Repeat this procedure until the stick is filled. You should leave about 3 cm on each side to be able to take the skewers with both hands.
- In a hot grill pan, place the skewers and cook on both sides until golden brown. You can accompany them with a green salad. Sprinkle with a little sour cream and chopped coriander.
For the best results, marinate your chicken for 2 hours. If do not have 2 hours to spare, marainte for at least 30 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 servings Serving Size: 2.4 skewers
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 265 Total Fat: 11.8g Saturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 113mg Sodium: 98mg Carbohydrates: 4.4g Fiber: 0.6g Sugar: 1.3g Protein: 33.3g